Beit Yahuwah: Journal of the Charismatic Church

This Journal aims to increase the prostration to and service of Yahuwah, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit in all the earth, to bring glory to the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Through the encouragement here contained the Church may rise up to her calling to govern and judge the world in Christ Jesus.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Early Christian uses of the Name Yaua

Late Antiquity Christian References to the Name of Yaua

The Odes of Solomon


1...Your seal is known; and youe creatures are known to it (4:7) (tit 1:2)
And your hosts possess it, and the elect archangels are clothed with it

2 His praise he gave us on account of his name;
our spirits praise his Holy Spirit (6:7)

3... For I turn not my face from my own
because I know them
And before they had existed
I recognized them
And imprinted a seal on their faces (8:12)

4 ...Therefore who can stand against my work?
Or who is not subject to them?
I willed and fashioned mind and heart;
And they are my own.
And upon my right hand I have set my elcts ones
And my rigteousness goes before them;
And they will not be deprived of my name;
For it is with them.

The Odist Speaks

Seek and increase
And abide in the love of the Lord;

And you who are loved in the Beloved
And you who are kept in himwho lives
And you who are saved in him who was saved

And you shall be found incorrupted in all ages,
On account of the name of your Father. (Ode 8:17ff)


5... Let be pleasing before you, because of your glory
and because of ypur name let me be saved from the Evil One. (Ode 14:5ff

6 ... I have put on incorruption through his name,
and stripped off corruption by his grace (Ode 15:8)

7... Praise and honor to his name. (Ode 16:20)

8... Praise and great honor to his name. (Ode 18:16)

9 ... Praise and honor to his name ((Ode 20:10)
10 He who gave me authority over chains
so that I might loosen them.

He who overthrew by my hands the dragon with seven heads.
And placed me at his roots that I might destroy his seed.

You were there and helped me
And in every place your name surrounded(blessing) me (Ode 22:4ff)

11... And hsi thought was like a letter
and his will descended from on high.
And it was sent from a bow like an arrow
That has been forcibly shot.

And many hands rushed to the letter
In order to catch (it), then take and read it.

But it escaped from their fingers;
And they were afraind of it and of the seal which was upon it.

Because they were not allowed to loosen its seal;
For the power which was over the seal was better than they.

...And the letter became a large volume.
Which was entirely written by the finger of God.

And the name of the Father was upon it;
And of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
To rule forever and ever. (Ode 23:1ff)
Hallelujah


Coptic Uses of the Name Yaua

MS4 [Three men ] met us in the desert [and said to the lord] Jesus. What treatment is possible for the sick?” And he says to them “[I have] given olive oil and have poured out myrrh [for those] who beilive in the [name of the] father and the holy [spirit and the ] son”.
Angels of the lord ascended to [mid] heaven , suffering from eye ailments and holding a sponge. The son of the lord says to them, “why have you ascended, o holy, all pure ones?”
“We have come up to recieve healing, O Yao Sabaoth, because you are powerful and strong.” (Oxy 1384)

MS19 Excellent apologia (spell) for driving out demons:
Formula to be spoken over his head: Place olive branches before him and stand behind him and say “ Greetings, god of Abraham; greetings god of Isaac; greetings god of Jacob; Jesus the upright, the holy spirit, the son of the father, who is below the seven, who is within the seven. Bring Yao Sabaoth;may your power issue forth from N., until you drive away this unclean demon Satan. , who is in him. I adjure you demon,-
MS19 whoever you are, by this god, Sabarbarbathioth, Sabarbarbathiouth, Sabarbarbathioneth, Sabarbarbaphai. Come out , demon whoever you are, and stay away from N., hurry, hurry now, now!, Come out demon, since I bind you with unbreakable adamantine fetters , and I deliver you into the black chaos in perdition.

Procedure: Take seven olive branches . For six of them tie together the two ends of each one, but the remaining one use it as a whip as you utter the adjuration. Keep it secret it is proven. After driving out (the demon), hang around N. amulet, which the patienct puts on after the expulsion of the demon, with these things written on a tin metal leaf...PHORBA, protect N.”

MS 22 [Christ! I adjure] you, o lord , almighty, first begotten., self- begotten, begotten without semen, [...] as well as all-seeing are you, and Yao, Sabao, Brinthao: keep me as a son, protect me from every evil spirit, subject to me every spirit of impure, destroying demons- on the earth , under the earth, of the water and the land- every phantom. Christ.

MS25 The door, Aphrodite
Phrodite
Rodite
Odite
Dite
Ite
Te
E,
Hor Hor, Phor, Phor, Yao Sabaoth Adonai,
I bind you, arteisian scorpion. Free this house of every evil reptile [and] annoyance, at once , at once, St Phocas is here. Phemenoth 13, third indiction.

MS26 CH M G Hor Hor Phor Phor, Yao Sabaoth Adonai, Eloe, Salaman, Tarchei, I bind you artemisian scorpion, 315 times. Preserve this house with it occupants from all evil, from all bewitchment of spirits of the air and the human (evil) eye and terrible pain [and] sting of scorpion and snake, through the name the highest god, Naias Meli, 7 (times)...XUROURO AAAAAA BAINCHOOOCH MARIIIIII ENAG KORE. Be on guard, O lord, son of David according to the flesh, the one born of the holy virgin Mary, o holy one, highest god, from the holy spirit. Glory to you, O heavenly king, Amen.

MS36 Grant me victories , favor, good luck with N., success with people small and great, whom I may encounter today, during all the hours of the day and the night. For I have before me Jesus Christ , who attends me and accompanies me; behind me Yao Sabaoth Ado[nai]; on my right and [left] the God of Ab[raham, Isaac, and Jacob]; over [my] face... my heart...

MS37 Arima Jesus Yo Salvation
Ariel my light of god
Azael might of god
Yoman Yao faith
Yobab Yo father
Eli eli sazachthani my god my god why have you forsaken me
MS37 Anael grace of god
Judah Yao confession
[J]erael of compassion
[J]ephtae Yao confession
[J]onathan Yao gift
[J]eroboal giving judgment in a higher way
[J]oseph Yao addition
[Es]aiou rising of Yao
[...]elam rest
Jachaz Yao strength
[J]akin Yao resurrection
[...] Yao...

MS40 He exists he raises the one by whom you shall purify me into your life accoridng to your indestructible name.Therefore the fragrance of life is in me. I have blended it with waterfrom the pattern of all the rulers, so that I shall with you in the peace of the saints, you who exist for ever.

MS40 I shall speak your name for you are a primary name.
You are unborn.

MS 42 [I was] baptised the fifth time in the name of theselfbegotten at the hands of each of these powers.

NH8 (Nag Hammadi 8)
Do you suppose that you are the father of [... your race] or that Iolaos is your father?
(Zostrianos ascends with the angel of knwledge to a light cloud)
I very quickly and very gladly went up with him to a great light cloud. I cast my body upon the earthto be guarded by the glories. I was rescued from the whole world and the thirteen aeonsin it and their angelic beings.They did not see us, but theirarchon was disturbed at [our] passage, for the light cloud...
Then I knew that the power in me was set over darkness because it contained the whole light. I was baptized there, and I recieved the image of the glories there. I became like one of them. I left the airy [earth] and passed by the copies of the aeons (ages, worlds), after washing there seven times [in] living [water], once for each [of the] aeons. I did not cease until[I saw] all the waters. I ascended to the Exile which realy exists. I was baptisedand[...] world. I ascended to the Repentance which realy exists [and was] baptised there four times. I passed by the sixth aeon. I ascended to the[...] I stood there after having seen lightfrom the truth which treally exists from its self begotten root, and great angels and glories, [number].
I was baptised in the [name of ] the divines Autogenes (Self Begotten) by those powers which are [upon] the living waters, Michar and Micheus. I was purified by the great Bar Pharanges. Then they [revealed] themselves to me and wrote me in glory. I was sealed by those who are on these powers, [Michar] Mi[ch]eus, Seldao, Ele[nos] and Zogennethlos. I became a root seeing angel and stood before the first aeon which is the fourth. With the souls I blessed the divines Autogenes (self existent) and the forefather Geradamas (Geron= elder, adamas = Adam) , (an eye of] the Autogenes the first perfect [man], and Seth Emm[acha Seth] , the son of Adamas , the [father of] ...Mirothea, the mother...and Prophania...of the lights and De-[...]
I was [baptised] for the second time in the name of the divine Autogenes, by these same powers. I became an angel of the male race. I stood upon the second aeon which is the third, with the sons of Seth I blessed each of them.
I was baptised for the third time in the name of the divine Autogenes, by each of these powers. I becamse a holy angel. I stood upon the thrird aeonwhich is the second. I blessed each of them.
I was baptised for the fourth time by [each of ] these powers. I became [a] perfect [angel]. [I stood upon] the fourth aeon [which is the first], and [I blessed each of them.] Then I sought...with power...about them in another way in the reports of men? Are these their powers? Or are these the ones but their names differ from one another? Are there souls different from souls? Why are people different from one another? What and in what way are they human?
The great ruler on high Authrounios (Self Governing), said to me, Are you asking about those whome you have passed by? And about the airy-earth. Came into being by a word, yet it is the begotten and perishable ones whom it reveals by its indestructibility. In regard to the coming of the great judges, (they came) so as not to taste perception and to be enclosed in creation, and when they came upon...
I called upon the Child of the Child, Ephesech. He stood before me and said “O angel of god, o son of the father, [...] the perfect man. Why are you calling on me and asking about those things which you know, as though you were [ignorant] of them? And i said, I have asked about the mixture[...] it is perfect and gives[...] there is power which [has...those] in which we recieve baptism [...] these names are [different] and why [...] for the first ...
He said [Zostrianos] listen about these[...] for the first[...] origins are three because they have appeared in a single origin. [of the] Barbelo aeon, not like some origns and powers, nor like (one) from an origin and power. It is to every origin that they have appeared;they have strengthened every power; and they appeared from thet which is far better thant themselves. These (three) are Existence, Blessedness and Life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home